Tools and Toolkits
In this section you will find tools for individuals to promote healthy aging.
You will also find toolkits and how-to guides for community events that help raise awareness
about your community's resources and help bring people together.
Valued Elder Recognition Awards is an event for communities and community organizations to recognize volunteers. It is ideally held in conjunction with the World Health Organization's International Day of Older Persons, which is celebrated each October 1st. (How-to Guide Coming Soon)
This annual award is presented on or around October 1st, the International Day of Older Persons (IDOP).
Since 2000, the Valued Elder Recognition Award (VERA) has honoured volunteers who, over their lifetime, have given exemplary service to helping others in the Capital Regional District (CRD).
Starting in 2016, the Institute on Aging and Lifelong Health and the Eldercare Foundation began partnering to present the VERA. With the Eldercare Foundation’s support, the VERA will recognize those who make a difference each and every day. Agencies and individuals are invited to make one nomination each year.
We give our congratulations and a warm thank you to the 2018 VERA recipients. Thank you for all your contributions to our community.
Download the 2019 VERA Nomination Form
- Nomination deadline: July 19, 2018
Download guidelines for letters of support
Eligibility criteria for the Valued Elder Recognition Award:
- The nominee must have made an exemplary contribution within the Capital Regional District (CRD)* for a minimum of ten years and must not have been paid for the contributions for which they are being honoured.
- While the contributions must have been made within the CRD, the individual need not be residing in the CRD at the present time.
- The individual must agree to stand for the nomination.
- The contributions made by the nominee must be supported by at least 4 letters of support from individuals in the community (see Guidelines for Letter of support). The nominator must provide one of the letters of support.
- The nominee has not received this award in previous years.
- Posthumous awards will not be given.
- One award nomination per agency.
*Municipalities in Capital Regional District: Central Saanich, Colwood, Esquimalt, Highlands, Langford, Metchosin, North Saanich, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Sooke, Victoria, View Royal, Salt Spring Island, Juan de Fuca (Willis point, Malahat, East Sooke, Otter Point, Shirley, Jordan River, and Port Renfrew), Southern Gulf Island (Galiano, Mayne, Saturna, Piers, North and South Pender Island)